Search

11. Medieval works from Hungary and the German and Austrian territories

Workshop of the so-called Master of Szmrecsány

Altarpiece dedicated to the Virgin Mary, from Felka
c. 1480
Wood, tempera, gilt

Left movable wing
Inv. 55.47.2

Wood panel, painted, gilt

195 x 69 cm;
(painted area of the panel: 88 x 57 cm)

The left movable wing of the altarpiece. The inner side shows the Visitation and the Annunciation. The upper panel of the outer side originally showed a female saint, probably a standing figure of Mary, which was covered with a Baroque depiction of the Mount of Olives; the lower panel originally displayed the standing figure of a bishop-saint, later overpainted with a Baroque portrayal of Christ Carrying the Cross. The most recent restoration partially uncovered the medieval paint layer.

Provenance:
It was acquired from the village of Felka by the Hungarian National Museum after 1913; later in the 1920s it was procured through exchange by the Christian Museum.

Restoration:
Lajos Nikássy, 1933; Szilvia Hernády and Mária Laurentzy, 1976 (panels), 1986 (statues)
Previous work of artMain page of the collectionNext work of art